November 12, 2006

Mt. Zion Trail Days

I'm done listening to complainers that never help out. You know that type that resents the Adventure Passes because they have "already paid for the forest with their tax dollars" and "besides, as a US citizen, this is my land to use freely."? I have those leanings myself, but you can get a free Administrative Pass if you become a Forest Service Volunteer and OK, it's your land - take pride in it by helping to clean campgrounds and maintain trails.

There are cabin owners right here in the BigSAC that couldn't care less about the rest of The Canyon. As long as they can get to their little corner of it they're fine. Or maybe they think that paying ten dollars for one of Jack Schuck's bacon-wrapped filets will take care of everything. Did you know that when I built the trail across the landslides (with a little help from Glen Owens and Darryl Forrester) I actually got complaints that they were too steep or not wide enough? I left the tools at each slide for anyone to pick up, but no one did.

But I digress. The point of the filet mignon and the Burnsian Baby Backs is to get people together and boost enthusiasm for accomplishing something beneficial. I hope we can all get together regularly to fix an area of our beloved canyon and have a good time doing so.

No comments: