September 6, 2007

The Grandstand Passion Play of Delbert and the Bumpus Hounds

If anyone out there has never seen a fox in real life, come up to the Pack Station around dusk and you will see several thousand of them. At least it feels that way. They are getting into everything.

And they bark and snort all night long, at times seeming to nag me for some better garbage. We try to keep the lids closed on the dumpsters and empty any cans with food in them, but they will attack all kinds of things. They have eaten innumerable bowls of cat food, an entire 35 lb. bag of dog food, dozens of hot dog buns, half a box of ketchup packets and squirt bottle full of Eric's Carolina Vinegar Sauce. Last week they stole a dozen packaged muffins and got into a bag of 4-way grain for the goats. They have even pooped on the hay bales in the Feed Room.

I am annoyed by how cute they are because I can't bring myself to hit them with the BB gun. One of them is especially friendly and I have named him "Curly" because he has a deformed tail that curls up and around like that of a Chow dog. I suppose I'm not helping the epidemic by tossing slices of smoked turkey to him.

I typed the above last night for posting today. Overnight they foxes somehow managed to destroy a nylon canopy (click on the thumbnail) and they even urinated in the cat food bowl.

No comments: