April 5, 2007

The Cisco Kid, Again

Yesterday I had a short pack for Miriam Sharkin. Her cabin, #7 at the old First Water site, is a stone's throw below the Pack Station in the canyon bottom, but the trail is about 3/4 of a mile. It's marked as the First Water Switchbacks on our canyon map. Every time I take this trail I appreciate it more. It can be blazing hot & still, and cool & shady & breezy at the same time. It clearly demonstrates the difference between the north-facing and the south-facing slopes of the San Gabriels.

Miriam had some garbage and junk to be hauled out of her "dungeon" (that's the storeroom under the porch). I had a rough idea of what she needed packed, since she had shown me on an earlier trip, so I knew that there were some large foam pads. I saddled up Bill & Slim because the two would have been enough to handle the light weight, but I was concerned about the bulk.

Cisco, our 34-year-old retired donkey, has been following along naked with the pack string, enjoying his second childhood. He wanted to come with us yesterday so I put a saddle and panniers on him. I knew that the foam pads wouldn't be too heavy for him. I had my "big three" working together again. Bill, Slim and Cisco know every inch of our trails, go where I ask and carry anything. This is especially important when one is packing alone.

As it turned out, I needed three animals because of the volume of the loads. Cisco had a great time helping out and he seemed very proud of himself. I write some goofy things in this blog, but I am serious here. Donkeys really do have feelings and personalities and I could tell that Cisco was glad to help out. Click on the photo to get a better look at him when we got back.

No comments: