January 8, 2007

A Day Off

For those of you who don't know, I had a bad car accident eight months ago. I spent two months in the hospital and my body is still recovering from three surgeries. I hate to admit it, but I still don't have my full strength and stamina back. Last week I started out tired from the holidays - it was extremely busy at the store for two weeks, dawn to dusk, on top of the usual Christmas/New Year stuff. Then I had to pack.

Tuesday, Slim and I brought lumber and other building materials down to cabin #7. Brad Bryce is repairing the shower, I mean, tool shed. Wednesday I brought propane and dog food to Bon Accord (#31) then back again Thursday with four animals full of lumber. I was dreading the trip the next day to Sturtevant's Camp.

Thursday evening Deb called to say that she was looking forward to packing and that if the Sturtevant delivery could wait 'til Saturday, she would do it. Chris Kasten said that was fine with him and I could have a break. Then it rained; and it rained pretty hard (.85") in a short time.

What was going to be an easy day of getting the store ready for the weekend turned into a major mop-up. I literally moved at least one ton of muck that had washed from the upper corral into the lower. It took twelve wheelbarrow loads of about 200 lbs. each. Moving and dumping the wheelbarrows wasn't what killed my back, it was repeatedly scooping 20 lbs. worth of soggy poop on the end of a manure fork, and swinging it up and into the wheelbarrows; by the way, we need new wheelbarrows*. I also had to buck the dead pine tree that had fallen on the barn. But hey, at least I didn't have to pack to Sturtevant's the next day.

Deb called Friday evening with the message that she should really study for the Bar Exam and rest up for the marathon she was to run on Sunday. Sue and I would have to pack. They're still uncomfortable with one person taking more than one animal on the stock trail, so since I knew Chris really didn't need the two full propane tanks we had for him, I was able to fit all of his groceries on Slim and head up alone, letting Sue of the hook. I decided I was going to take my time and enjoy a stroll through the forest with my best donkey. I had a great time but I was whooped!

As usual on the weekends I had to stop a hundred times to explain what I'm doing with a donkey, pose for photographs, teach the difference between a mule and a donkey, talk about the cabins, promote Sturtevant's Camp, chat with cabin owners.... I had called the Pack Station from the crank phone at Fern Lodge, so everyone was expecting me soon. I ran into Karen Johns of cabin #73 sitting on a rock in front of cabin #40 and watching a Great Blue Heron. Even though I was tired, I thought I should stop and exchange a few pleasantries - one hour later I was on my way.

By the time I got to Roberts' Camp it was getting late and I had about 45 minutes of light left. I figured folks were starting to worry so, naturally, LA County Sheriff's 'Copter 18 decided to waste the taxpayers' fuel over our canyon. They circled around and around as I walked from cabin #40 to Roberts' Camp. I kept expecting to see Search & Rescue, but Roberts' was empty - just me and a donkey and a helicopter. They hovered low for quite some time and I thought they were going to make the mistake of trying to land there, but suddenly they left. I thought it unlikely that Sue had called them to look for me, but I did think that she now thought a hiker had called because I had an accident or a heart attack or something. When I got up the road to the First Water bench, I heard Candace's voice calling for me. I turns out they had worried about me, but everything had gone well and the day was almost done.

Sunday, as Rich and Candace were packing for their trip, or as Candace packed and Rich watched the Patriots Play-off game, Sue and I ran the store by ourselves. All I wanted to do was sleep. Then, galloping up on his white F-150, came Eric Woodyard to save the day! He was happy to take over cooking duties while I napped. I managed to close my eyes for an hour and a half, just long enough to recharge for the rest of the day.

Today, Monday, I am mostly taking the day off. The donkeys still need to eat and poop, and I still need to gather the wood from the tree I bucked, but it is now 12:26 pm and all I've done is throw some hay out, brew coffee and type this. I will try not to work the rest of the day, maybe just type another blog entry. I guess I can alleviate a little guilt by recognizing that some people call sitting at a computer "work".

*(Boy, was I getting tired of typing "wheelbarrow"!)

No comments: